"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

December 2, 2010

Hope

Many things have inspired me to share my thoughts on this...

I know the statistics are bad for this cancer. But who cares. My case is unique. So far many things about my case have been unpredictable. This is why there is hope:

1.) Staging: My dad just told me that my gyn onc would have originally classified my cancer after the 1st surgery as stage II because of the weird spread pattern. It spread NO WHERE else in my pelvic region or abdomen except a couple of nodes and my ovary. The only reason it was staged at IIIc is because of that tumor in the paraaortic lymph node near my kidneys. It wasn't even in my other ovary. This is highly unusual for ovarian cancer.
2.) Age: I'm pretty young. Pre-menopausal at diagnosis of ovarian cancer is very very rare. More common for clear cell type, but still.... I found a couple studies that the outcomes for those diagnosed young are much much better than in older women
3.) Health: No one could have been more physically healthy. I'm muscular (maybe losing a little of that), rarely get colds or recover quickly, and have no major diagnoses. My only issues are chronic back pain, insomnia, and bipolar- which I believe has made me a much stronger person because I have been through tough times so many times before.
4,) Gymnastics: I was a gymnast which is probably the toughest sport out there. I dedicated years of my life working 4 hrs a night conditioning my body and dealing with very very scary tricks. My back, wrists, shins, and ankles hurt everyday but I would get up and tumble or vault on that hard floor every practice. I would rip huge blisters on my palms where later I could barely wash my hair because of the pain- yet I still got back on that bar to finish my routines. I often came home and spent the night with two or three ice packs on various body parts. Cancer is no big deal after beating up my body for the awesomest sport in the world!!!
5.) Recovery: I am a queen at recovery. Yes fatigue is killing me and my sleep schedule is screwed up, but I had major abdominal surgery and was eating a normal diet, ditched the catheter, and walking around 24 hours later. Too bad I had to switch to oral meds in 24 hours too :( I should have stayed longer and took advantage of the decent meals and pampering. I could do without having to sleep with my arm out for the nurses to take my vitals at all hours of the night. And dragging an IV pole around to the bathroom or when taking a walk... Or having to measure my pee volume. I just started doing everything myself and beating the nurses to the punch. I shocked them when they came into the room and I was already walking around the room
6.) Support: see following blog!

So I hope all this helps those Negative Nancies (thanks Ashley for that silly phrase)

No comments:

Post a Comment