"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

January 9, 2011

Treatment Plan

Well there is isn't one. I got a call from one of the nurses at the clinic and she said that the tumor had finally grown enough to do drug sensitivity: all of the drugs tested in that lab had a poor response. So the next step is another appointment with my doc in 2 weeks to discuss other options. She suggests Avastin, which is really really expensive ($80,000) and no insurance covers it. But, I may be able to get patient assistance. I'll find out more at my appointment. In the meantime I am looking into getting a 2nd opinion from other oncologists in the Seattle area. So far no other ones I've tried take my state insurance. I've also started fixing my diet and eating lots of foods rich in anti-oxidants. I'm also researching Essaic tea- something recommended by a fellow OC survivor at the cancer symposium I went to in October. I figure that while I'm not getting standard treatments I might as well fight the cancer with other routes. I'm also sticking to my 2 cups of green tea a day idea...

Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated- there are a lot of alternative treatments out there and I don't even know where to begin. So far the chinese medicine and supplements didn't work out so well for me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment