"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

March 3, 2009

Why I need a port-a-cath

So today I woke up with arm pain. More like an ache. I felt around and the vein that they had used for my chemo was now hard like a tendon and painful to the touch. Dammit. I was supposed to get a port-a-cath inserted to make chemo treatments easier (a port is something placed under the skin to allow for easy venous access) but they couldn't get me in before my first chemo. Now my vein is sclerosed. Thank god the port is going in the next round.

other than that- I have a newfound love for Adderral. Right now it's the only thing that can keep me awake and functioning for at least 6 hrs.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, a port-o-cath is so fun!!!! I get all my meds that way and, if it's a particularly odd med I'm actually able to taste it! How fun is that! It sounds like you're off to a good start with all your treatment, I hope it continues well! All my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember your third grade teacher? Saw your mom today and she told me about your blog. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I remember you! You were a great teacher- thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete