"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

March 9, 2009

Hair Hair Everywhere

"Your hair is... everywhere. Screaming infidelities..." This song has been in my head for the last few days. So my hair is rapidly thinning. It's all over my coat, my shower, my pillow, my lap, other peoples' laps. I can pull out chunks at will. Tonight I was eating a bowl of rice and every time I brought the bowl up to my face to fork some in my mouth- a new hair fell into the bowl. Definitely annoying. I don't understand why all the hair on my head has to fall out. I mean, I haven't shaved my legs in like 3 months but all of THAT hair is still there. WTF?

Today I went to the SCCA to get my blood drawn. Of course I was an hour late because I forgot to change the time on my watch. No worries though- they can get you in pretty much anytime. The guy used my right arm cause my left arm vein is SHOT. Lil fucker still hurts. On another note, I can't believe that SCCA makes the patients pay for parking. What the hell? Aren't we going through enough!

After the SCCA I went to the American Cancer Society's wig bank. Apparently the corporate headquarters are here in Seattle or something. Or at least that's what the receptionist said. She was 25 and we talked for about an hour. Her mom had breast cancer and now that's why she works there. We talked a lot about medicine because she wants to be a therapist and I want to integrate psycho-socio consultations into my practice. Especially important with dealing with chronic illness. Anyways, she said that all their wigs are donated directly by stores (brand new) or are given to them by other cancer survivors. BTW- she told me that I was now a "survivor". Sounds weird to me- I'm not really free of cancer but I am alive so I guess that does qualify me as a survivor. The wig bank had 4 huge bins of wigs of all colors. Most of them were old-lady style or "mom" because they were short and curly. Some grey wigs as well (why would you get gray again if you were going to bother with a wig?). You can have two at a time, so I picked a reddish one and blonde one. Both were longer than my normal hair. For once I get to feel what's it's like to have thick voluminous hair! And red hair color that lasts! I can't imagine wearing them all the time but it should be kind of fun- new look everyday! They also had a bunch of hats and scarves so I took some of those. Not really anything good but enough to start with. There were definitely some good 80s ones with neon pink and greens!

Tomorrow is shave day. My friends John and Juan are going to shave their heads with me. We're going to make a night out of it: basically we're going to shave/cut in steps so we can take pictures of each other in stupid hairstyles- no-hawk, just-bangs, mullet, etc. Should be good for them because Juan has dreads and John has pretty thick curly hair as well. Mine- not so much. I'm not sure I will even have much by tomorrow! Anyways, I will be sure to the post our ridiculous pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment