"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

March 11, 2009

Shave Day
























So... as you can see- I have a big bald sexy head! Last night I shaved it all off and it feels great! It was about time- I had some bald spots yesterday morning and had to wear a scarf to the clinic. And I still need to wash my sheets (or at least shake them out) because there is hair all over. I was shedding more than my cat, and that's saying a lot. It feels good and our shave night was pretty fun. My friend John and roommate Juan had talked about shaving their heads with me awhile ago and so we all gathered in my living room for the big event. At the same time, another friend, Sean, was also shaving his head at his house, so the love was all around! The whole idea for John, Juan, and I was shave in steps to give ourselves the most ridiculous hairstyles we could think of- and to document the whole ordeal on camera. I was first and so they gave me 80s punk rock hairstyle with everything shaved on the left half of my head. We took some pics and then buzzed the rest off. It wasn't all that upsetting to see my hair go- it was all brown-rooted, and overdyed anyways. It did feel really bizarre to run my hand across my head though- 1/3 of my head was completely bald but I still had some rough patches of hair. Last night in bed it also felt pretty weird on my pillow- kind of scratchy and my head got really cold.

Anyways, John was next- he was used to shaving his head and was definitely game. We had thought about just leaving bangs on him- "bitch bangs" was the term we used i think.... - but then we got the idea to make a chin strap that goes all the way around your head. So we shaved a sideways mohawk on him that connected to his beard. He looked like a DJ with headphones on- either that or it looked like he had a moustache on his scalp. It was pretty funny. We joked that next time he should leave some hair around his ears so that he looked like he was wearing earmuffs.

Juan was last, and he had dreadlocks that he had been growing for a few years so I was pretty impressed he clipped them off. For him was did a "no-hawk"- or an inverse mohawk (basically no hair in a line down the middle of his head). It took a lot of work to clip those little dreads but the no-hawk was worth it! A friend later told me that we should have separated the lines a bit so that he looked like Mickey Mouse. Haha. After we shot some more pics, the two boys shaved the rest of their hair off. I swear the whole thing looked like some weird cult initiation. I just kept waiting for one of our prestiged Leschi neighbors to come to our door. What would they think....
Anyways, I think it was a blast and I'm really appreciative of the three guys for showing their support! Now we all have a sexy, maintenance-free new look!

Other than that, nothing much has been going on- This is my last week of classes and I have a finals next Friday. I also have chemo #2 on Monday- what luck! I guess I'm going to do as much as I can this weekend. I'm still pretty behind in my clinical course and I am short hours, so I may take an incomplete in that class. But I still need to pass my other two lecture courses- that's what I'm focused on. Lots and lots of information needs to get into my brain and stay in my brain after the 3 yucky days after chemo. I'm hoping to switch my anti-nausea medications or talk to my docs about medical marijuana because what I am was taking made me feel like crap. Crap as in feeling totally out of it. It's better than nausea, but I still think we could find a better med.

Oh yeah- I finally got a hold of my nurses and they gave me the results of my blood test- everything was absolutely fine- no decreases in hemoglobin, red and white blood cell counts, or platelets! I must be doing something right! I'm thanking the nutritional supplements I've been taking- I'll have to get to that side of my treatment in another post....

No comments:

Post a Comment