"When an affliction happens to you, you either let it defeat you, or you defeat it.." - Rosalind Russell

March 15, 2009

Ready for round 2

So not much is going on. I have a final next week on Friday that I'm worried about, and it doesn't help that I have chemo tomorrow. I figure I'll be out for about 3 days and then have a few more to study. I tried doing some this weekend but I didn't get too far. I also have about 10 late assignments to work on- I think I may be doing those over break :(. Oh well, I'll just take it one day at a time...

Tomorrow I get my port placed, for which they put me under. It also means that tonight I have use the special soap to clean my chest (chlorhexadrine I think?) and not eat anything after midnight. The plan is: wake up way too early at 7:45 for blood work, 8:00 have minor surgery; and 1pm-ish? start chemo. Nice long day of laying around, eating oreos, and visiting the bathroom about 20 times. I'm hoping they can get me a children's port, because I have no fat on my chest and it's going to be huge and stick out inches. No low-cut shirts for awhile I guess. It's ok though cause I'm a t-shirt gal anyways.

I'm starting to like the bald thing. My head gets super cold at night and so I wear a hat, but otherwise it's nice. It'll be great in the summer. Yesterday I wore my long, wavy reddish wig. It was awesome to sport full flowing hair for once. I was trying to figure out if I could pass it off as natural- nobody stared at me so maybe that's a sign? I was just happy to be able to wear pigtails again- I think that's the only thing I miss about my hair at the moment. A friend of mine suggest that his roommate henna my head. That would be awesome! I'm going to wait until it all falls out because right now it's still pretty patchy.

Altogether, I'm feeling ok. Adderral has helped tremendously with the fatigue- I forgot to take it on Thursday at clinical and actually was so tired that I had to leave early. That says a lot because I love working at Planned Parenthood. My tinglies are no longer noticeable, or else I have gotten used to them. I think I only had them for 3 days or so. Weird. One new thing that's driving me nuts is the orthostatic hypotension. Basically, every time I lean back to stretch (which I always do to stretch my newly-healed ab muscles), stand up quickly, or sit up from bending over (to tie a shoe or something) I get incredibly lightheaded and have to hang onto something to prevent myself from fainting. A few times I almost have. I've had low blood pressure my whole life and have fainted from it in the past- but this is pretty much every time. I want to start hot yoga again but I will have to take it extra easy so I don't pass out during a back bend and knock somebody out!

On another note, my buddy Adam that I met at the SCCA just finished his last round of chemo! Wish him a speedy recovery! He has a blog too that you should check out (he's the one who gave me the idea). The address is: http://adamsbulletinboard.blogspot.com/

Alright enough procrastinating and back to the books!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkback sweetheart! I hope things go well with the port placement. I didn't have much fat on my chest either, but they made me get a big one, but I also have a double... They showed me the ones for women and they are a lot smaller, so I believe you'll be fine!!! Keep keeping on, I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they give me neulasta after each round of chemo and that should be kicking in any day now so I expect my numbers to be up by Wednesday. At least that's what it's done previously.

    ReplyDelete